Friday, June 01, 2012

When did you get so random?

Is anyone else really struggling to get the Ghostbuster's theme out of their head today?

I just want to call them.

I'd tell them there's something wrong in my neighbourhood, and it's called David Cameron.

I KNOW, I GOT POLITICAL.

That's enough.

Because truth be told, my Dad was a Labour man through and through, and raised me as such (supporting Labour, not as a man. Though come to think of it, I was made to watch a lot of football.) Unfortunately I've absorbed all of his enthusiasm and none of the principles. My outlook essentially boils down to:

Labour Good!

Conservatives Bad!

And I throw myself wholeheartedly into alcohol fuelled debates concerning the state of the nation, only to be exposed as a tad thin on the details:

Me: Yes, exactly, and Cameron sucks. He like totally sucks, and I hate him, and he's practically murdering the UK.

Them: Oh, so you're a Labour supporter. Well then what about the NHS; Labour royally fooked the NHS.

Me: Did not! And Cameron looks creepy. He looks like he'd take someone's children.

Them: So essentially, your political standpoint is he can't be good for us because of his face.

Me: Yes. And he steals from the poor to feed the rich. Robin Hood will be pissed.

And so on.

So every now and again I force myself to pick up Ginger Beard's Private Eye, or watch the news. But in Private Eye, they just chuck loads of stats at you in really small print, and I start thinking about the 20% off sale in Oasis and drooling. And on the news, everyone is always dying. I used to watch it every morning during breakfast, and end up depressed all the way to lunch. It's not that I don't think it's important to keep tabs on what's happening in the world, but it seems like only bad things happen, or half an hour is dedicated to the cat that can tap dance.

The one thing I am really interested in is the Holocaust. But that's not the best thing to bring up at a dinner party. Ginger says that I always find a way to drop it into conversation when I'm in a crowd. As in:

Crowd: So, what's your job?
Me: Funny you should ask. By day I work in an office, but my true occupation is unearthing and sharing the human suffering stories from the Holocaust.
Crowd: Right.

I don't do that! Okay, sometimes I do that.

I can't help it. Every year I read Anne Frank's diary, and am completely dumbfounded. The idea of this girl, trapped in an attic, loyally recording time, and you're right there with her. Incredible.

How did this go from David Cameron to Anne Frank?

I suppose you could say that Anne Frank was fucked, and Cameron is fucking us.

Oooohhh - link.


No comments:

Post a Comment