Monday, May 16, 2011

Or the puppy gets it!

I would like to apologise to the woman in the train station that I 'took out.' One minute I was happily walking along to the exit, and the next minute I was trying to run her over. This is all because someone shouted 'Free!' and held up something shiny. Normally I tut at people like me, who run over, salivating, palms together. But my inner Magpie, and greedy cake smeared little child, wanted it. I would have it! I didn't care how many people had to die, as I brashly ignored the unspoken code of giving way to oncoming traffic if turning right. It was worth it. The chicken cup-a-soup was mine.

And it was full of chickeny goodness.

People have killed for less than this.

Also, is there any legislation to protect toilets against what office workers are doing to them? I have beheld some horrific scenes recently, where the lavatory has been what I can only call 'destoyed.' Are there companies who will come in to lecture nine to fivers on their diet? Why aren't the culprits in A and E? What's happening in their bodies is vicious, it's monstrous. The poor cleaner lives in the ground floor toilets. She's always in there. It's a constant battle. This is exactly the kind of crime they had in mind when the electric chair was first out forward as an option.

Fry them, fry them all.

It's incredibly distressing. It makes me feel sick. And then I have to go throw up over a toilet.

I was considering letting the billboard situation go. But then I read this on the Leeds Metropolitan Website:

"The day-glo paint bombs work not only with the wording of the caption but as compulsory post-millennial icing, masking the drab 1980s corporate, colourless ad language of cutesy animals and black retro fonts with tokenistic, upbeat, candy-coloured social appeal. With an eye on the techniques employed by art/Aids activists of the 1980s such as Barbara Kruger and Group Material, Darbyshire combines slogans from the hard-hitting Eighties HIV public health campaign posters with the innocuous, familiar toilet tissue adverts also from that period. While these issue-based adverts created widespread fear at the time, Aids is still a global pandemic and alongside noting a worrying return to the politics of the Eighties here in the UK, Darbyshire asks whether we have in fact regressed in our fight against HIV/Aids too."

Who wrote this? And why are they still allowed to inhale oxygen?


  • Matthew Darbyshire | Untitled Billboard (Leeds Station)‏




  • To gallerytheatre@leedsmet.ac.uk
    From:Gemma Rutter (theminorkey@hotmail.co.uk)
    Sent:12 May 2011 12:41:19


    Hello,
    As a regular commuter through Leeds Train Station, I was very curious when I first spotted this billboard. I have recently discovered the reason for it, and the supposed political statement that the artist is making.
    Could you please let me know if you believe that anyone, whether they be educated in the arts, a professional, or Joe Bloggs, would be able to interpret a puppy covered and surrounded by paint as a comment on Aids campaigns in the 80's and our current lax attitude?
    I like to think of myself as having a rather average IQ, but am unable to draw anything from this billboard which remotely resembles the artists intention.
    Any clarity you could provide would be much appreciated. Also if you could let me know the exact date that it would be removed, and the source of the funding for the project, that would be fantastic.
    Kind Regards,
    Gemma Rutter

    No comments:

    Post a Comment