Tuesday, May 17, 2011

You have mail

This morning I took a wander up to toilets, never previously encountered. And on the back of the door was this sign: 'Please do not keep putting unsuitable items in the sanitary bins, i.e. fruit peel, coffee cups, sandwiches.' I love that. I love the idea of someone sitting on the toilet eating a tangerine. How brilliantly random. An office worker with a mocha between their feet, a banana wedged in their mouth, and a three cheese sandwich. It's not like there aren't bins in the bathroom and througout the building. Are toilet cubicles the new place to dine? Are we that desperate for a little alone time?

Perhaps someone has a vendetta against the cleaner. 'I shall constantly perplex them. This week, I will choose lego bricks, a light bulb, and three grapes.'

I am very pleased to inform you that I've had a reply, thus, the war rages on:

From: Innes, Moira
Sent: 16 May 2011 12:28
To: 'theminorkey@hotmail.co.uk'
Subject: billboard

hello Gemma
Thank you for your e-mail regarding Matt Darbyshire’s billboard.  It is always interesting to get feedback. 

Placing art in the public realm where it is chanced upon as opposed the deliberate act of visiting a gallery  alters the context and viewers experience. As with any art work, the artist has a clear intention  and concept but knows that the work will be received in a variety of different ways depending on  the viewers’ individual experiences.  Arguably this is more the case when the work is placed in such a public situation  where for the majority, the  viewing is incidental to their reason to be in the station.

Matt’s intentions are multi-fold and combine various interests and concerns including the design and look of the ‘ experience economy’  where the spheres of culture, health and retail all  promise to enhance and transform our lives.  What is presented is a composite image of his personal views on the  hard-hitting public  health campaigns  and the fluffy advertising of the time and relates to a project he undertook at the MIro Foundation in Barcelona. The opportunity of presenting the work as a billboard returns the  idea to the appropriate context of mass advertisements.

I feel it is valuable that everyone is at liberty to  embrace or dismiss the work and for me the fact that you have thought about the image and content is what is important .  I don’t expect everyone of the thousands that see it to spend time contemplating its merits but trust that many will have left asking questions.

best
moira

Moira Innes
Director
Leeds Met Gallery & Studio Theatre
G12 Northern Terrace
Leeds Metropolitan University
Leeds
LS2 8AG


I can't resist. It's not like I can read that, and go on living my life, doing nothing.


Hi Moira,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, it is much appreciated.

I completely agree with you that the idea of art we 'encounter' is a fantastic way to experience something different, and not confined to a gallery environment. I do however believe it's a shame that something a little more obvious/influential could not be in it's place, considering the volume and variety of commuters who see it everyday. Unfortunately the only question I have heard asked regarding this work is, 'What does it mean?' I feel that it is a real shame that the artist has set forth with such thought out principles, only to ultimately confuse the public. Have you had much response to this billboard, acknowledging, or lining up with the artists intentions? I am all for art which teaches me something, surprises me, alters or challenges my perspective, amongst many other effects, but have only felt frustrated thus far.

Do you happen to know the source of funding for this project? I only ask, because the station itself is unable to run remotely to schedule at the best of times, and I find myself wondering if the money could be a little more appropriately spent. I'm sure a lot of people's lives have been improved by looking at a playful puppy, but I'd just like to get home on time more often.






1 comment: