Sunday, November 21, 2010

For the adventurous.....

I'll tell you what I've been doing instead of writing; calling my parents because I miss them, drinking a lot of banana milkshake, reading Erica Jong's sexually charged poetry, listening to Laura Marling, fighting to fall asleep, developing my relationship with Play.com, enjoying my winter morning walk, thinking about Anne Frank again, trying to decide what I want to do with my life afterall.

Nanowrimo is reluctant awakening. Tim Minchin read in a book somewhere that if you're too open minded, your brain will fall out. There is a definate loosening in this whole process, and you become suddenly suseptible to more than just an onslaught of written words. I also think that having a plan for once, a goal, an ambition, can make you realise that for the past year you've been casually exisiting, without so much as a shiver in any direction. And it's encouraging that anything else is produced, alongside paying bills, and shots at the bar, and matching socks. I don't want to get up one morning and realise that my whole life was just a series of eventful Novemeber's. That's why I'm going to keep this blog up, into December, and onwards through the New Year.

2011 is the year I try. Short stories, poetry, my lonely left behind Novel of 08. It's always best to catch your regrets before they catch up with you. I urge everyone to remember that one thing they used to be desperate to do, and do it. No more excuses. I think by now, most of us have realised that easy was never going to be an option. It's not retail, or teaching, or printing lottery tickets, or car finance. I want to write. So I'm going to start by finishing Nanowrimo, despite being so behind, and end up with a pile of manuscripts. And so are you, with whatever you once wanted. I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment