Thursday, November 11, 2010

You can survive winter, and so can your umbrella

Oh the unrelenting joy of week two, where all your characters reveal themselves to be as dull as you, your laugh takes on an hysterical edge, and you make some very interesting wardrobe choices. Personally, this is the toughest point. I've not written enough to feel invested, so why not just quit? I daydream, I procrastinate, I phone old friends. I even clean things up. Anything, just to avoid the fact that my protagonist for the last five pages, has been listing his childhood memories in chronological order. This is the point my friends, where despite intending on an intellectually stimulating period drama, you must insert the dragons, and the magic wands, and....you get my drift. Abandon the plan. Relish it. In order to succeed, we must become more imaginative, and bow to the madness.

Nano taught me a lot of things in that first year; How to endure my own company again, how to trust that my writing, though not always exceptional, would turn up if I demanded it, and that something beautiful will always be thankfully salvaged from the sheer volume. Even if it's just a bloody fantastic title.

Happy Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment