Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Better than Monopoly

I've developed a fun new game, and unless you're ever in a car with Ginger Beard, you're not going to get to play it with him. If you ever are, then welcome my friend, pull up a chair, remember these simple rules.....

When my mum lets a driver go in front of her from a side road, and I question it, she says, 'If we all let one in, everyone gets home.' Now, I didn't think about this in too much depth. I just accepted it, because my mother is very. very wise. (Apart from with vegetarians - she still thinks they can eat pea and ham soup if you promise to cut the ham up really small.) I digress.

So, as a relatively new driver, I have taken this phrase under my wing. I let people into my lane a lot. When Ginger's little face balls up, and his mouth goes 'for fucks sake', I politely inform him, 'But if we all let one in, everyone gets home.'

'That doesn't make any sense,' he informs me. 'They'd still get home. It's just that now, thanks to you, they'll get home before us.'

What I've realised is even more fun, is that now, every single time I let a car in, even before he's reacted, I tell him the skewed logic behind it. Sometimes I sing it. Sometimes I say, 'If we all let one in........' and give him a cheeky wink. He's started to punch the dashboard. And occasionally will just shout 'No, no, no, no!' and look like he's nearly crying.

Why not try this in your car, with a loved one? It's free to play, and never gets boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment